This page details the histories of all the ships that called to the Port of Kaiapoi between 1958 and 1967. As will be seen, most of these ships were not young, but their longevity is a tribute to their builders and many lasted for a few more years after they left Kaiapoi. Indeed, at least one is still going strong.
The ships are listed in the order that they first visited Kaiapoi and at the foot of the page, some details of harbour craft used.
128grt. 89' 0" x 23' 4" x 6' 7"
Built 1914 by G.T. Niccol, Auckland, as an auxiliary ketch for the Northern S.S. Co. Ltd., Auckland. Traded from Auckland to Matakana, Algies Bay, Warkworth, Mahurangi, Kerikeri, Purerua, Whananaki and Whangaruru.
1948: Sold to Richardson & Co., Napier, but found unsuitable for their trades.
1949: Sold to Collingwood Shipping Co., Nelson.
1950: Converted to full motor ship with twin 114bhp diesel engines.
16 Nov 1958: First visit to Kaiapoi, re-opening the Port.
1 May 1959: Stranded Waimakariri Bar inbound. Refloated 4 May.
1960: Ownership transferred to Inter-Island Shipping Co., Nelson.
Paroto at Wellington in the 1960's
Photo: I. Lovie
14 Dec 1960: Bumped Waimakariri Bar outbound.
1961: Re-engined with twin 98bhp diesels.
31 Jan 1962: Pooped while crossing Waimakariri Bar inbound, lifeboat damaged.
3 Aug 1966: Ran aground in thick fog at Point Gibson, North Canterbury on passage Wellington to Kaiapoi. Became a constructive total loss.
The end for Paroto
Photo courtesy of D. Ball
158grt. 106' 7" x 22' 1" x 6' 0"
Built 1936 by Scott & Sons, Bowling, Glasgow, for G.T. Niccol, Auckland. Sold to Northern S.S. Co. Ltd., Auckland in 1937. Traded Auckland to Whangarei and Tauranga, but did sometimes go as far as Opotiki.
Ranginui at Wellington
Photo: I. Lovie
30 Oct 1940: Ashore in the Bay of Islands.
26 Nov 1941: Ashore Waihou River.
29 Apr 1947: Ashore Whangarei.
9 Apr 1948: Machinery damage off North Auckland coast.
28 Oct 1949: Aground near Auckland.
Dec 1957: Sold to Collingwood Shipping Co., Nelson, for Wellington - Lyttelton trade.
20 Nov 1958: First visit to Kaiapoi.
14 Feb 1959: Laid up Shelly Bay, Wellington for major engine repairs.
Feb 1967: Laid up at Kaiapoi.
Nov 1967: Sold to Luggate Game Packers, converted for use as a helicopter base for venison recovery operations in Fiordland.
Aug 1968: Laid up at Port Chalmers after being replaced by the larger Hotunui.
Nov 1970: Turned up at Kaiapoi again.
Aug 1972: Sold to Caribbean Pacific Enterprise Inc., but sale fell through and ship never left Kaiapoi.
27 Mar 1975: Sailed from Kaiapoi for Lyttelton.
1976: Sold to Alpine Helicopters for further use as helicopter base in Fiordland.
1986: Went to Bluff for major refit and maintenance.
1987: Returned to Fiordland for use as a recreational base for Sir Tim Wallis and family.
8 May 1995: Sank in Breaksea Sound while unattended.
143grt. 87' 7" x 22' 0" x 9' 6"
Built 1917 by T. Brown & Sons, Te Kopuru, for Richardson & Co., Napier, as Koau. Fitted with an insulated hold, she was employed in the frozen meat feeder services from Tokomaru Bay, Wairoa to Napier and Picton, Nelson to Wellington.
Picton outward bound from Kaiapoi
Photo courtesy of D. Ball
17 July 1918: Stranded, Wairoa River.
2 Nov 1926: Stranded, Wangaehu Bay.
2 Jan 1929: Collided with launch Venture at Napier.
Sept-Nov 1929: Re-engined with twin Fairbanks-Morse diesels.
22 Nov 1933: Collided with launch Doris at Napier.
26 Feb 1935: Damage to port engine on passage Tolaga Bay to Napier.
28 Nov 1940: Damaged propellers.
27 Apr 1941: Collided with lighter Moa at Napier.
11 Jun 1942: Broke tailshaft off Hawke's Bay.
1951: Laid up.
Apr 1952: Sold to Southern Cross Shipping Company, Picton. (Holm & Co., managers). Traded Wellington to Lyttelton and Nelson Bay ports.
Sept 1952: Renamed Picton. Same owners.
1955: Re-engined with twin Gardner diesels.
2 Jan 1959: Stranded on mudbank at Waitapu. Refloated three days later.
8 Jan 1959: First visit to Kaiapoi.
12 Jan 1959: Struck by trawler Taiaroa at Wellington.
12 May 1961: Stranded Waimakariri Bar inbound from Wellington. Refloated six days later and berthed at Kaiapoi.
Picton aground Waimakariri Bar, May 1961
Photo: © S. Reed
31 May 1961: Towed to Lyttelton for repairs by Lyttelton Harbour Board pilot boat Wairangi.
1963: Laid up at Wellington.
June 1964: Sold to Picton Fishing Company for line and crayfishing at Chatham Islands.
10 July 1966: Hull damaged when cradle bearer collapsed on the Lyttelton Patent Slip.
20 July 1978: Wrecked at Raoul Island while under charter to Ministry of Transport. Crew rescued by HMNZS Tui.
268grt. 117' 6" x 26' 2" x --
Built 1930 by G.T. Niccol, Auckland and sold while fitting out to Anchor Shipping & Foundry Co. Ltd., Nelson. She saw service in the Pacific during World War II as YAG26 from June 1943 to July 1944, after which she was returned to the Anchor Company.
Photo courtesy of D. Ball
1949: Sold to Pearl Kasper Shipping Co., Nelson.
18 Mar 1961: First visit to Kaiapoi. Her last call was early May 1962.
12 Dec 1961: Stranded Waimakariri Bar. Refloated 14 December.
1962: Sold to Coastal Services (Motueka) Ltd., Nelson.
1965: Damaged by fire, laid up and offered for sale.
Feb 1967: Reported sold for use as a mother ship for crayfishing around the Seychelle Islands.
16 Mar 1967: Sailed from Lyttelton after a refit for the Seychelles.
1971: Sold to Taupata Fishing Corp., Port Moresby.
Taupata became somewhat elusive after this, but she was seen in Ballina, NSW in the 1970's and Sydney in 1977. In June 1980, Lloyds Supplement listed her as operating as a pleasure craft.
Where is she now?
Newspaper clipping courtesy of S. Reed
215grt. 107' 0" x 26' 4" x 7' 4"
Built 1927 by G.T. Niccol, Auckland for the Northern S.S. Co. Ltd., Auckland. Traded Auckland to Whitianga, Tauranga and Whakatane. She was the last cargo ship to call at Whakatane in June 1960.
Toa whilst under Northern S.S. Co. ownership
Photo: © D. Brigham
7 Nov 1929: Struck groyne at Whakatane.
18 Mar 1932: Stranded at Whakatane.
8 Nov 1938: Stranded at Whakatane.
30 Jun 1939: Stranded at Whakatane.
12 Sep 1944: Damaged rudder at Whakatane.
2 Dec 1947: Stranded at Whakatane.
25 May 1950: Stranded at Whakatane.
1961: Sold to Kaiapoi Shipping Co., Christchurch.
16 Apr 1961: First visit to Kaiapoi. I think she may have come direct from Auckland.
Nov 1963: Kaiapoi Shipping Co. went into liquidation and Toa was converted into a line fishing vessel. As such she worked around the Chatham Islands and Tonga.
25 Sep 1967: Arrived at Kaiapoi from Lyttelton.
25 Oct 1967: Sailed for Lyttelton. This was the last time she was seen at Kaiapoi.
Dec 1974: Sold at auction by Auckland Harbour Board to recover unpaid charges. She had been laid up at Auckland for some time and apparently had been abandoned by her owners. Bought by Mahmoud Raza of Suva, Fiji for further trading. Renamed Paerimu, she was refitted at Auckland before sailing.
Feb 1981: Sank at her moorings in the Bay of Islands, Fiji.
197grt. 99' 8" x 24' 9" x 7'
Built 1920 by G.T. Niccol, Auckland, as an auxiliary schooner for the Northern S.S. Co. Ltd., Auckland. Traded from Auckland to Awanui, Tairua and Opotiki.
1922: Altered to auxiliary ketch.
20 Oct 1922: Engine trouble off Waiheke Island.
23 Apr 1923: Stranded at Opotiki.
8 Jul 1934: Went ashore somewhere in the Hauraki Gulf.
6 Aug 1935: Lost propeller at Awanui.
Aug 1938: Converted to a motor vessel.
21 Feb 1939: Lost propeller at Awanui.
11 Sept 1941: Struck Castle Rock.
14 May 1948: Struck "submerged object" near Whakatane.
1949: Sold to Karamea Shipping Co., traded from Wellington to Tasman Bay ports and Lyttelton.
21 Oct 1961: First of only two visits to Kaiapoi.
27 Feb 1962: While berthed at Lyttelton, she was accidently crushed by the inter-island ferry Maori and damaged beyond economic repair.
Motu at Lyttelton after her collsion with Maori
Photo: Christchurch Star, courtesy of N. Tolerton
1962: Sold to Skeggs Fisheries Ltd., Dunedin and towed to Port Chalmers. Stripped down and engines removed.
8 Jun 1964: Hull destroyed by burning at Dunedin.
199grt. 97' 8" x 24' 8" x 6' 5"
Built 1919 by G.T. Niccol, Auckland for Northern S.S. Co. Ltd., Auckland. Traded from Auckland to Northland and Bay of Plenty ports, also to the inland port of Paeroa up the Waihou River. In World War II, she saw service in the south-west Pacific from 1942 to 1945. Tuhoe was the last cargo ship to call at Opotiki in August 1957.
Tuhoe under Northern S.S. Company ownership
Photo: © D. Brigham
19 Feb 1923: Fire onboard at Auckland.
23 Jul 1923: Struck bridge crossing the estuary at Whangarei.
2 Sep 1924: Damaged, Whangarei.
12 May 1926: Damaged, Awanui River.
12 Aug 1927: Struck that bridge again, Whangarei.
13 Jan 1929: Collided with Coronation, Awanui River.
7 Dec 1929: Another collision with Coronation, this time at Auckland.
1 Jan 1934: Sustained "damage", Hauraki Gulf.
10 Jan 1934: Ran aground, Whakatane.
14 Feb 1934: Ran ashore, Ohiwa.
14 Oct 1937: Got "stuck", Waihou River.
3 Oct 1947: Fire onboard.
15 Apr 1950: Ran onto Whale Island, Bay of Plenty.
2 Jan 1951: Collided with yacht, Onerahi, Whangarei harbour.
late 1961: Sold to Eckford's of Blenheim after a lengthy lay-up at Auckland. Proved unsuitable however, for their Blenheim to Wellington service.
Feb 1962: Sold to Kaiapoi Shipping Co., Christchurch and towed by the Poranui from Wairau Bay to Lyttelton where she was refitted.
26 Apr 1962: First visit to Kaiapoi.
29 Jun 1963: Stranded, Waimakariri Bar. Refloated 1 July.
Nov 1963: Kaiapoi Shipping Company went into liquidation. Converted into a line fishing vessel.
early 1964: Put into Wellington with a serious leak, declared unseaworthy, escorted to Kaiapoi and laid up.
1982: Restoration started by Tuhoe Preservation Society.
31 Oct 1983: First trip as a tourist vessel. Sailed from Kaiapoi to Kairaki at the mouth of the Waimakariri River and return.
Tuhoe laid up in Kaiapoi in the 1960's
Photo: © S. Reed
These trips continued until early 2002, when after a dispute between the Preservation Society and the Tuhoe's owners, the Cure Boating Club, led to the winding up of the Society. The ship was then laid up, her future uncertain. The Cure Boating Club put her up for sale by tender and there was a very real possibility that the ship may have left Kaiapoi for good. However, in January 2004 a tender jointly submitted by Mainpower New Zealand and Kaiapoi Electricity was accepted ensuring that Tuhoe will remain in Kaiapoi. Work was undertaken to bring her up to survey condition.
8 Aug 2004: Sailed at approximately 10.00am for Lyttelton for dry-docking.
4 Sep 2004: Returned to Kaiapoi crossing the bar at approximately 8.00am.
Tuhoe crossing a placid Waimakariri River bar on 4 Sept 2004.
Photo: © S. Reed
Work on her restoration is continuing and it is hoped to have her back cruising the River in November 2004.
UPDATE: Tuhoe "re-entered service" on the River on 19 June 2005 with a 1.00pm sailing from Kaiapoi to the River Mouth and return.
208grt. 107' 0" x 25' 2" x 7' 2"
Built 1932 by G.T. Niccol, Auckland for his own use as Atua. She was the last ship built by Niccol before dismantling their slip at Freemans Bay. Bought by Northern S.S. Co. Ltd., Auckland and renamed Waiotahi. Traded mainly from Auckland to Tauranga, Whakatane and Opotiki.
Waiotahi at Wellington in Inter-Island Shipping Co. colours
Photo: I. Lovie
20 Jan 1939: Stranded at Opotiki.
18 May 1939: Stranded at Opotiki.
24 May 1939: Rudder damage off Raurima Island.
7 Jun 1939: Rudder damage off Mercury Island.
16 Mar 1950: Collided with the Fairmile Motunui at Auckland.
1961: Sold to A.G. Frankham Ltd., Auckland for their Auckland to Gisborne run.
1962: Sold to Inter-Island Shipping Co., Nelson to supplement Paroto and Ranginui on the Wellington - Kaiapoi trade.
9 Aug 1962: First visit to Kaiapoi.
Jul 1966: Stranded Waimakariri Bar inbound from Wellington.
6 Nov 1967: Arrived from Waitapu (Golden Bay) with a cargo of butter. This was the last commercial cargo handled at Kaiapoi. Laid up at Kaiapoi.
1968: Sold to Mr. F. Fawcett-Kay, Solomon Islands.
16 Aug 1968: Sailed from Kaiapoi.
Oct 1973: Scuttled in Rabaul harbour, Solomon Islands, due to hull deterioration and action of teredo worm.
99grt. 92' 6" x 27' 6" x 4' 2"
Built by G.T. Niccol, Auckland for a Captain Somerville as Caed-Mile-Failte. Renamed Kohi when sold to the Biddick family in 1914 and used in the stock trade around the Hauraki Gulf. The only scow to trade to Kaiapoi in the 1958-1967 period.
Kohi entering the Waimakariri River in 1963
Photo: Capt. Paddy Leahy Collection, coutesy of M. Berthold
1911: Stranded, Whangaroa.
1927: In collision, Wellington.
1929: In collision, Wellington.
1932: Stranded, Golden Bay.
1938: In collision, Wellington.
1940: In collision, Wellington.
1941: Caught fire, location unknown.
1941: In ownership of Tasman Bay Shipping Co. Ltd.
Saw overseas service during World War II.
1945: Bought by Eckford Shipping Co., Blenheim.
1948: Sold to Parry Bros., Auckland.
1948: Stranded, Whangaparaoa.
1963: In ownership of Sullivan Shipping Co.
20 Jul 1963: First of four visits to Kaiapoi.
1965/1966: Laid up at Waitapu.
1967: Towed from Waitapu to Westhaven Inlet - on the South Island's west coast just below Farewell Spit - for use as a fishing boat landing.
Kohi can still be seen beached on the mud lying derelict alongside the wharf.
Two other vessels also called at Kaiapoi during this era, but neither carried cargo. One was the former Fairmile Marlyn, which was by this stage of her life a fishing vessel. She called on 1 July 1962 for half an hour (!!).The other was HMNZS Pegasus, a Naval Reserve launch based at Lyttelton. Kaiapoi's only Naval visitor called for a day on 11 February 1967.
Pilot launch and workboat from 1958 to 1964.
Further details unknown.
Pilot launch and workboat.
29' 11" x 8' 6" x 3' 5"
Built 1964 by Stark Bros., Lyttelton, for Kaiapoi Borough Council, but operated by Inter-Island Shipping Company. Used as a pilot launch/workboat and fitted with a towing bollard for light towage work.
The pilot boat Kaiapoi
Photo courtesy of Kaiapoi Library
25 Oct 1967: After escorting Toa outwards over the bar, she was swept by an unusually heavy sea, stoving in the wheelhouse windows and flooding the hull. The two men aboard escaped safely and unharmed.
26 Oct 1967: With a "buoyancy umbrella" of nine empty 44-gallon drums on the surface, the Kaiapoi made a seven hour submarine voyage to Lyttelton under tow of the Lyttelton Harbour Board's pilot cutter Wairangi. On arrival, she was pumped out by the Lyttelton Volunteer Fire Brigade. Repairs were carried out by Starks, following which she returned to Kaiapoi.
1969: Offered for sale.
July 1969: Sold to Wilkins & Davies Construction Co. Ltd., for use as a general work craft during wharf construction work at Bluff. She was transported south from Lyttelton by road transporter on 4 August 1969.
She was later used as a fishing vessel based at Bluff with the registration no. 8211. The name Kaiapoi was retained. In the early to mid 1990s, she was taken from the water needing gearbox and engine repairs. Placed in a cradle in a yard at Bluff, she still remains there today (April 2006).
The Kaiapoi at Bluff in April 2006
Photo: © D. Edge
Back to Top